Seattle Woodturners offers a range of resources and programs to meet the membership interests. Our community of members receive access to an exclusive set of resources, discounts, and educational opportunities sponsored by the club. [Featured: member, Vern Tator]
We provide learning opportunities to both novice and expert woodturners. Take a look at our benefits below. Feel free to contact us with your questions, too!
At its core, as a member of our club you become part of a community who not only share your interests and passion, but who actively contribute to the growth of your skills and expertise. We take pride in our commitment to share knowledge, resources, and support each other’s efforts.
- Community Outreach We annually demonstrate woodturning at community events and participate in multiple charity activities.
- Demonstrations We arrange for prestige woodturners to visit the Seattle area and demonstrate at our monthly meetings. Additionally, all-day Hands-On demonstrations are arranged for an additional fee.
- Library We maintain a library of books and videos, which members can check-out on a monthly basis.
- Mentor Program We actively promote mentoring, where experienced club members volunteer to provide guidance and one-on-one training to novice woodturners seeking to improve their technique and knowledge.
- Monthly Meetings We meet on the second Thursday of each month from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM, at the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) facility located in Redmond, WA. See Meetings FAQ for additional information about our meetings.
- Newsletter We publish a monthly newsletter with regular features, including the President’s Message, Announcements, Schedule of Events, and Classified Ads.
- Sawdust Sessions We schedule group sessions where interested members can practice new techniques using the club’s equipment, while receiving instruction from experienced members.
- Show and Tell We provide time at monthly meetings for members to share their work with the club. It’s an opportunity to both showcase your work, and receive feedback from others.
- Supporting Vendors We have relationships with several vendors, including Woodcraft, Rockler, and Crosscut Hardwoods, who offer our members a 10% discount on tools and supplies. We also offer members the opportunity to purchase wood sealer at a discounted price, directly from the club.
- Tools We give members access to the club’s lathes and equipment, while participating in Sawdust Sessions and Hands-On demonstrations.
- Wood Raffle We hold a raffle at each month meeting for quality pieces of wood. Member can optionally purchase raffle tickets, with all proceeds going to our club.
- Wood Rats We actively seek opportunities to acquire free wood in the Puget Sound Region, which is donated to the club. Our ‘Head Wood Rat’ organizes excursions for members to cut, gather, and haul it away.